NZ Sailing Trust dedication to the Environment
Our oceans and islands are home to an amazing variety of life, many whom are under threat. The NZ Sailing Trust works hard to ensure that we have minimal environmental impact on the areas that we sail through and visit.
If a trip has the potential for guests to go ashore onto an island a full bio security briefing and inspection is given prior to leaving the dock. All our guests are encouraged to respect and care for our treasured Hauraki Gulf. The students on longer journeys are actively involved in the running of the vessel, by the end of the voyage they should have be completely aware of how to limit the negative impact of the vessel and themselves on our natural environment.
Ways in which we limit our environmental impact are:
· We use only bio degradable cleaning products. We operate with strict compliance to the MARPOL convention for pollution from ships at sea; we strive to do better by discharging nothing but bio degradable material and never within 2 NM of the coast.
· All non-bio degradable waste is stored on board and is disposed of appropriately on the journeys completion along with all beach clean-up rubbish, which is tallied before disposal.
· Before guests go ashore all bags and equipment are screened for bio hazards, they are briefed to respect the shore environment by taking only photos and leaving only foot prints.
· Any marine mammal sighting is noted in the ships log and the position type and number reported to the research vessel, Dolphin Explorer.
· On the infrequent trips where we catch fish we strictly adhere to size and catch limits set by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. The message of take only what you need is enforced if the fish are really biting.
· We work with New World Victoria Park to reduce and eliminate packaging and plastic waste with provision where ever practical.
Pest Free Warrant
Our vessels are licensed by DOC and the Auckland Council to visit pest-free conservation islands and other islands in the Hauraki Gulf. Prepare for your trip by being alert for stowaways such as Argentine ants, rainbow skinks, soil, seeds, mice or rats.
You can help by:
· Make sure all food is packed and sealed in plastic rodent proof containers with lid. Ensure cardboard boxes are closed and taped – there must be no opportunity for an unwanted pest to access the box in transit.
· Ensure all footwear and gear is clean and free of soil.
· Seal up your gear/food as soon as you have finished packing and leave them closed till you reach your destination.
Without your co-operation your trip may not be able to take place, so if you have any doubts or questions about biosecurity, please ask.
Visit www.treasureislands.co.nz for further information on biosecurity.